Hi,
Cortical thickness is purely a surface-based measure, so that particular
dscalar indeed doesn’t contain any volume-based grayordinates.

The task fMRI data would be one example in which volume-based grayordinates are
present in the CIFTI (i.e., cerebellum and subcortical voxels)

Cheers,
-MH

--
Michael Harms, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Psychiatry

Department of Psychiatry, Box 8134

660 South Euclid Ave.                        Tel: 314-747-6173

St. Louis, MO  63110                          Email: mha...@wustl.edu

On 5/2/18, 4:30 PM, "hcp-users-boun...@humanconnectome.org on behalf of Ho,
Wilson Christopher" <hcp-users-boun...@humanconnectome.org on behalf of
w...@mgh.harvard.edu> wrote:

Hello experts,

I’m looking at the examples for FSL’s PALM on CIFTI files
(https://fsl.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/fsl/fslwiki/PALM/Examples#Example_10:_Using_CIFTI_files)
 and one of the processing steps is separating the volume and surface data from
the CIFTI. When I run wb_command’s CIFTI-Separate, I can’t seem to separate any
volume data from the dscalar file specified. For example, I run:
> wb_command -cifti-separate
> ../352132.corrThickness_MSMAll.32k_fs_LR.dscalar.nii COLUMN -volume-all
> data_sub.nii -metric CORTEX_LEFT data_L.func.gii -metric CORTEX_RIGHT
> data_R.func.gii
...and I get the error, "ERROR: specified file and direction does not contain
any volume data"

If the volumes are not present in the CIFTI dscalar.nii's, is there another
CIFTI file with the volume present? They don't seem to be present for the
native or 164k fsaverage files, or non-MSMAll files either. Is there anywhere I
could locate this volume data? Or would anyone know whether they are necessary
for the PALM analysis (ie. could a sufficient analysis be done by omitting the
volume aspect and using solely the extracted GIFTI surfaces?).

Would appreciate some insight on what seems to be a simple misunderstanding on
my end. Thank you!

Wilson

dispose of the e-mail.