-cifti-convert does not do this, it only dumps the matrix into different
file formats as-is, the spatial relationships are not accessible from its
output.

If you are only interested in subcortical/cerebellum data, that is trivial
to extract from cifti as a volumetric nifti using -cifti-separate with
-volume-all.  In the future, when resolution increases sufficiently, we
hope to move the cerebellum data to surface representation also.

Group volume-registered space has significant drawbacks, in that it does
not align cortical functional areas to the degree that surface/cifti
processing can.  This is because much of the cortex has variable folding
between subjects, which volume registration can't unfold to try to match,
and because functional areas vary somewhat in their position relative to
these folds.  See our recent paper:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29925602

This actually means that mapping the cifti data back into the volume should
have better cross-subject functional correspondence than computing group
maps from the original volumetric data - the drawback, however, is that the
folding patterns can't be preserved (since they are different across
subjects), and you will end up with a much less folded cortical ribbon with
oddly sharp boundaries (and perfect correlation along the normal vector of
the surface).  Processing the data in cifti format will use less memory, be
more correct to the nature of the data, and make it more obvious that you
aren't really using a volumetric processing stream.  Matlab and python both
have support for reading and writing cifti files (though in matlab there
isn't good support for spatial relationships), as well as a few other
languages (the cifti code from workbench has been made into a c++ library,
though you will also need a gifti library to make full use of spatial
relationships).  wb_command can do several types of spatial processing
operations on cifti, and -cifti-convert will allow you to feed the data
through virtually any tool that doesn't use spatial neighborhood
information.

Tim