To expand on Jenn's answer, one way to see what wb_command does on windows
is to open "command prompt", cd to the "bin_windows64" folder where you
unzipped workbench, and then type "wb_command" and press enter.

If you do as the README.txt suggests and add that folder onto your PATH
environment variable, you will then be able to use "wb_command" in the
command prompt no matter what folder you are in.

Note, however, that "wb_shortcuts" is a bash script, and windows (unlike
mac and linux) does not understand bash scripts by default.  One solution
to this is Cygwin:

https://www.cygwin.com/

There is also "windows subsystem for linux", however it will need to use
the *linux* distribution of workbench, rather than the one built for
windows.

Note that the HCP pipelines, in addition to being written in bash, also use
other software (mainly freesurfer and FSL), which generally don't support
windows directly (instead they may say to run a linux virtual machine).
These software are mainly developed on linux because computing clusters
generally run linux (to reduce/avoid licensing hassles, to have more
control over the OS, and for better support for scripting).

Tim