Scene files are not a vector format internally, they store the entire GUI
state of wb_view (loaded files, window sizes, tab types and order, order of
layers in tabs, palette settings), and when they are displayed (or captured
via wb_command), the data files are loaded and all the display logic in
workbench is used to rasterize the result, effectively as a bitmap (which
then gets compressed into the chosen raster image format).  Vector graphics
are instead collections of lines, curves, text, and other simple
primitives, which are most suited for things like diagrams and charts
(though in many formats, PDF in particular, you can embed raster
graphics).  Vector formats are not suitable for general purpose image
storage, such as photographs or nontrivial 3D renderings.

The annotations themselves, without whatever they are displayed on top of,
are quite similar to vector graphics.  I don't know if they would be useful
by themselves.

Tim