From: "Glasser, Matthew" <glass...@wustl.edu>
Date: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 8:19 PM
To: NEUROSCIENCE tim <tsc...@mst.edu>, Leonardo Tozzi <lto...@stanford.edu>
Cc: "Harms, Michael" <mha...@wustl.edu>, "hcp-users@humanconnectome.org"
<hcp-users@humanconnectome.org>
Subject: Re: [HCP-Users] ICA FIX output missing

Regarding task analysis, I don’t really agree with Mike:

a) The sICA+FIX filter is essentially equivalent to a linear detrend whereas
the task filter is more aggressive.  Thus, applying both is going to give
essentially the same answer as applying the more aggressive one.
b) Because the noise component removal is done as a non-aggressive regression
(where the neural signal is protected by the neural components) and the task
design is noiseless, I don’t see how the task design will reintroduce noise.
There could be statistical efficiency benefits to exactly replicating the
regression on the task design, but these are likely to be small.  Overall, this
is not an effect that should lead one to avoid cleaning data before running a
task analysis, as the statistical benefits of cleaning are clear, both from the
perspective of removing biases and reducing uncorrelated variance.

Matt.