A few weeks maybe if you want a pre-release version.

Matt.

From: Yizhou Ma <maxxx...@umn.edu<mailto:maxxx...@umn.edu>>
Date: Monday, April 22, 2019 at 9:06 PM
To: Matt Glasser <glass...@wustl.edu<mailto:glass...@wustl.edu>>
Cc: "hcp-users@humanconnectome.org<mailto:hcp-users@humanconnectome.org>"
<hcp-users@humanconnectome.org<mailto:hcp-users@humanconnectome.org>>
Subject: Re: [HCP-Users] Multi-run ICA-FIX with excessive movement

Thank you Matt. This is really helpful. Any idea when the new classifier you
mentioned in 1. will be available?

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 8:50 PM Glasser, Matthew
<glass...@wustl.edu<mailto:glass...@wustl.edu>> wrote:
I guess I haven’t been in the habit of throwing out data like this.  Things I
would consider would include:

  1.  MR+FIX classification accuracy (if runs were poorly classified, they
won’t be denoised well).  I’ll note that we are training an improved MR+FIX
classifier using a combination of HCP-YA resting state (single run FIX), HCP-YA
task (MR+FIX), and HCP Lifespan (MR+FIX) to address classification issues we
have observed with very large numbers of components, subject with very large
amounts of motion, and other artifacts that were not a part of the HCP-YA
original training data.
  2.  Unusually small numbers of signal components (though note we found a
recent subtle bug whereby if melodic does not finish mixture modeling
components, FIX will fail to classify signal components correctly).  If there
are few signal components this means that either the SNR is very bad or the
structured noise has overwhelmed the signal and mixed in too much with the
signal, making it hard to separate.
  3.  DVARS Spikes above baseline (not dips below baseline) in the cleaned
timeseries suggest residual noise.  I prefer DVARS derived measures to movement
tracer derived measures because they tell you something about what is actually
happening to the intensities inside the data, whereas movement tracers may be
inaccurate reflections of signal intensity fluctuations for a variety of
reasons (see Glasser et al 2018 Neuroimage:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053811918303963 for
examples).

Others in the HCP used different means to identify some of the noise components
I mentioned above that weren’t being classified correctly by regular FIX, and
might be able to share their suggestions.

Matt.