From:
<hcp-users-boun...@humanconnectome.org<mailto:hcp-users-boun...@humanconnectome.org>>
 on behalf of Timothy Coalson <tsc...@mst.edu<mailto:tsc...@mst.edu>>
Date: Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 1:47 PM
To: Joseph Orr <joseph....@tamu.edu<mailto:joseph....@tamu.edu>>
Cc: HCP Users
<hcp-users@humanconnectome.org<mailto:hcp-users@humanconnectome.org>>
Subject: Re: [HCP-Users] "activation" tables for reporting pscalar results

We recommend sharing the results as data files (as mentioned, this is the
intent of BALSA), even if you choose to report MNI coordinates in the text.
Something to keep in mind is that group average surfaces do not behave like
group average volume data, the surface gets smoothed out wherever folding
patterns aren't fully aligned, resulting in a surface that does not approach
gyral crowns or sulcal fundi (most notably with functional alignment such as
MSMAll - freesurfer-aligned surfaces will average to something with more
folding preserved, at the cost of functional locality, but there are still
locations with high variability in folding patterns across subjects that will
still get smoothed out on a group average surface).  See supplementary
material, figure S1, and figure S9 panel B2, from our paper on the effects of
volume-based methods:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29925602

If meta analysis of this sort is only intended to give a very rough idea of
location, even this may not be a deal breaker.  You can use wb_command
-surface-coordinates-to-metric to get the coordinates as data, use
-cifti-create-dense-from-template to convert that to cifti, and then use
-cifti-parcellate on that to get center of gravity coordinates of the vertices
used.  Note that these center of gravity coordinates could be a distance away
from the surface, due to curvature.

Tim

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 11:06 AM Joseph Orr