Hi Steven,

Would variable-length datatype do what you need?

From: Hdf-forum <hdf-forum-boun...@lists.hdfgroup.org> on behalf of Steven
Walton <walton.stev...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 12:34 PM
To: HDF Users Discussion List
Subject: [Hdf-forum] Irregular 2D array write (C++)

So I'm wondering if there is a good way to write an irregular shaped 2D array
into hdf5. And example of this would be like storing vtk node connections for
an unstructured grid. First number noting the cell type and the next numbers
denoting the nodes.

9 23 41 54 12
9 46 29 19 60
5 93 18 58
5 29 58 17
9 50 38 58 95

So the array has some rows that are length 5 and others that are length 4 (or
arbitrary). I understand how to do this with C++ vectors and push_back, but
those don't create contiguous arrays. Is there another way to create this in a
way that HDF would accept?

Twitter: https://twitter.com/hdf5