On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 4:44 PM, Alejandro Abdelnur <t...@cloudera.com>
wrote:

> After reading this thread and thinking a bit about it, I think it should be
> OK such move up to JDK7 in Hadoop

I agree with Alejandro. Changing minimum JDKs is not an incompatible change
and is fine in the 2 branch. (Although I think it is would *not* be
appropriate for a patch release.) Of course we need to do it with
forethought and testing, but moving off of JDK 6, which is EOL'ed is a good
thing. Moving to Java 8 as a minimum seems much too aggressive and I would
push back on that.

I'm also think that we need to let the dust settle on the Hadoop 2 line for
a while before we talk about Hadoop 3. It seems that it has only been in
the last 6 months that Hadoop 2 adoption has reached the main stream users.
Our user community needs time to digest the changes in Hadoop 2.x before we
fracture the community by starting to discuss Hadoop 3 releases.

.. Owen