Thanks for forking the thread Vinod,

SGTM, though I really do recommend waiting for 2.9 given the current size
of 2.8. I'm not a fan of an "off by default" half-measure, since it doesn't
change our compatibility requirements, and there's some major NN surgery
that can't really be disabled.

If we do find a major user who's backported this to their own branch-2
fork, I agree that's motivation to get it in an upstream release quicker. I
haven't heard anything along these lines though.