Thanks for restarting this thread Andrew. I really hope we can get this
across to a VOTE so it is clear.

I see a few advantages shipping from trunk:

   - The lack of need for one additional backport each time.
   - Feature rot in trunk

Instead of creating branch-3, I recommend creating branch-3.x so we can
continue doing 3.x releases off branch-3 even after we move trunk to 4.x (I