I would also prefer releasing current 2.8 branch sooner. There are several
incomplete features in branch-2 such as YARN-914 and HDFS-7877 that are
better served if we can complete them in the next major release. Letting
them span across multiple releases might not be desirable as there could be
some potential compatibility issues involved. Therefore if we recut 2.8 it
means we have to work on those items before the new 2.8 is released which
could cause major delay on the schedule.