I'd have assumed it would have gone in as one single patch, rather than a full
history. I don't see why the trunk needs all the evolutionary history of a
build.

What should our policy/process be here?

I do currently plan to merge the s3guard in as one single squashed patch; just
getting HADOOP-14809 sorted first.