Sergey -you trying to simulate failures client side, or do you have an NN
Which actually injects failures all the way up the IPC stack?

as if its just client, couldn't registering a fault-injecting client as
fs.hdfs.impl could do that

FWIW, in the s3a connector we have the "inconsistent" s3 client which
mimics some symptoms of delayed consistency; it has a path, a probability
of happening
and a delay before things become visible. This is in the main hadoop-aws
JAR, and is turned on by a configuration switch (yes, it prints a big
warning). With a single switch to turn it on, its trivial to enable it in
tests