Thanks for the replies all!

> But in the opposite case, it might have problem, because 2.x server may
not understand new client calls added in 3.x

Yes not expecting this to work. I'm thinking about the case where one
upgrades existing 2.x clients to 3.x and expects it to still work against
2.x server, which should not involve those new APIs.

> Another backcompat issue was HDFS-15191, in 3.2.1.

Thanks for pointing this out! In fact this looks like a serious bug in
3.2.1. Glad to see it is fixed in 3.2.2.

> But aside from that, we've been using 3x client libraries against both 2x
and 3x clusters without issue.

Great! thanks.

IMO it will be great if the community maintains official compatibility doc
w.r.t 2.x/3.x, which can help the migration easier.

Chao