- recently, JIRA became some sort of a "number generator" with insufficient
description/details as the
   developers and the reviewers spending more time discussing in the PR.

JIRA issues contain useful information in the fields.
We are leveraging them in development and release process.

* https://yetus.apache.org/documentation/0.13.0/releasedocmaker/
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=12336122

I usually use PR comments to discuss about the patch submitted.
JIRA comments are used for background or design discussion before and after
submitting PR.
There would be no problem having no comment in minor/trivial JIRA issues.