The hbase-filesystem tests passed after reverting HADOOP-18596
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-18596> and HADOOP-18633
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-18633> from my local tree.
So I think it's a matter of the default behavior being changed. It's not
the end of the world. I think we can address it by adding an incompatible
change flag and a release note.