I expect to initiate a vote for hadoop-3.4.0-RC3 in preparation for the
hadoop-3.4.0 release. We have been working on this for 2 months and have
already released hadoop-thirdparty-1.2.0.

Regarding the issue described in HADOOP-19090, I believe we can address it
in the hadoop-3.4.1 release because not all improvements can be expected to
be completed in hadoop-3.4.0.

I commented on HADOOP-19090:

I am not opposed to releasing hadoop-thirdparty-1.2.1, but I don't think
now is a good time to do so. If we were to release hadoop-thirdparty-1.2.1,
our process is too lengthy:

1. We need to announce this in a public mailing list.
2. Then initiate a vote, and after the vote passes, release
hadoop-thirdparty-1.2.1.
3. Introduce version 1.2.1 in the Hadoop trunk branch.
4. backport hadoop-3.4.0

Even if we upgrade to protobuf-3.23.4, there might still be other issues.
If there really are other issues, would we need to release
hadoop-thirdparty-1.2.2?

I think a better approach would be:

To notify about this in the release email for hadoop-3.4.0, and then
release hadoop-thirdparty-1.2.1 before the release of hadoop-3.4.1,
followed by thorough validation.

I would like to hear the thoughts of other members.

Best Regards,
Shilun Fan.