On 9 January 2017 at 08:47, Nishant Pani <np661...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I came to know about this project from Tim's recent talk on 33C3. It was
> an interesting talk, particularly in regards to the work done. I am
> interested in contributing so I have looked around and have a couple of
> questions
>
> 1. Regarding the conversion of soft cores like ZPU and RISC-V, how is it
> related to this project?

Our "System on Chip" system (LiteX) allows different choices of "Soft CPU"
core to be used (without changing other code). Currently the system
supports lm32 and or1k architectures, with some experimental support for
risc-v. In the future we are interested in adding support for more
architectures like ZPU, J-Core, etc.

Having different choices in soft cpu architectures means we can make
different trade offs regarding performance, FPGA space used & tool chain
support.

> 2. On the issues page, HDMI Sound to USB Sound , it looks interesting
> enough and I have started exploring on it, has anyone previously done any
> work on this or is this project completed?Also will this project need the
> Numato Opsis board?

A number of people have started looking into the project, but nobody has
gotten very far.

Most of the work is actually on developing the USB Audio device side which
is all done on the Cypress FX2 chip rather than the FPGA. The Cypress FX2
IC is an 8051 architecture which has a hardware USB acceleration engine.
Some of the work will be improving the quality of our code on the FX2
before adding more features. This FX2 work can be done using a cheap
development board off ebay
<http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xcypress+fx2.TRS0&_nkw=cypress+fx2&_sacat=0>
.

paddatrapper on the #timvideos channel on Freenode has just started looking
at some of this stuff. I'm sure he'd welcome people to work with!

> 3. Will TimVideos be applying to GSOC this year?

Yes, we will definitely be applying to GSoC again, but there is no
guarantee that we will get in again.

Hope that answers your questions!

Tim 'mithro' Ansell