FYI - At the R&S Cataloging Panel on Tuesday 6/21 3:45-5:15 I will be
presenting a paper:

"Anticipating the use of Hebrew Script in the LC/NACO Name Authority File

The MARC 21 Format for Authority Data permits non-Roman scripts to be used
in authority records. LC/NACO Name Authority File (NAF) records are
currently restricted to Latin script because not all NAF distribution
recipients (who hold synchronized copies of the NAF master file) offer
support for non-Roman scripts. Headings in the NAF are established according
to AACR2 and LCRIs so headings from Hebrew script sources must be romanized.

This paper looks ahead to when we can use Hebrew and other scripts in
authority records. The options for using Hebrew script in MARC 21 authority
records are examined. The prospects for cooperative authority work between
American libraries and libraries in Israel are considered."

Some of the issues that Daniel and others are bringing on Heb-NACO will be
examined during the presentation. I hope that we will have time for
discussion after the presenations at that session.

I will add the issue of Hebrew dates in the parallel 260 field to the agenda
for the R&S Cataloging Committee.

Heidi