In the current implementation of the new series policy, LC will continue to
provide parallel roman/non-roman paired 490's.  Lenore

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 05/31/06 6:02 PM >>>
Dear Daniel and Safranim,

I think it is important to point out the uniqueness of materials we catalog
in multiple languages and in Hebrew script.  If only descriptive data is to
be keyed in a a 490 0, then there would only be Hebrew script in those
fields, in theory (will parallel romanized fields be required for 490
0's?).  How many OPACs can currently support keyword searching in non-roman
scripts?  Collocation could become impossible.

Caroline Miller
UCLA

--On Wednesday, May 31, 2006 1:47 PM -0400 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [...]
> fully analyzed by the larger cataloging community. It is our sincere hope
> that LC administrators will revisit their decision, and agree that a more
> nuanced approach to series authority control is warranted. Perhaps simply
> being more selective about when to establish series title headings (e.g.,
> prioritizing university press publications) would help reduce costs.
>
> AJL sympathizes with recent statements from the ALA Executive Board, the
> Library of Congress Professional Guild, the Africana Librarians Council,
> and the Music Library Association, and agrees that the wholesale
> abandonment of series authority records, combined with the lack of
> consultation with other stakeholders, compromises LC?s professed
> commitment to uniform bibliographic standards and cooperative cataloging.
> We believe it will increase costs to all libraries, including, quite
> possibly, the Library of Congress itself. We also know from daily
> experience how much our users appreciate being able to search by series
> titles, and how useful it is to have such titles normalized and
> collocated within our catalogs.
>
> Moreover, we are concerned that this latest decision is just the
> beginning of a long-term retrenchment of LC?s commitment to bibliographic
> control. In a report recently commissioned by the Library of Congress,
> Karen Calhoun has proposed reducing the number of data elements included
> in bibliographic records and eliminating Library of Congress Subject
> Headings. If present trends continue, and LC further abdicates its
> leadership role, the pool of shared cataloging which has done so much to
> reduce costs and nourish American libraries over the past 30 years will
> either dry up from neglect or become brackish with inferior content. With
> cutbacks in expert staff (130 LC cataloging positions eliminated in 2005
> alone (?), let alone staff reductions in virtually all other American
> libraries), the same substandard records are increasingly being recycled
> throughout the system.
>
> We believe the new LC policy will have a profound effect on
> cataloging-on-receipt and shelf-ready book activities across the country
> as costs are shifted to individual libraries, perhaps saving the LC some
> money now, but costing the larger U.S. library community a great deal in
> the future.
>
>       The greatest gains in efficiency will come from heightened rather than
> lowered compliance with standards. By adhering to international
> agreements and best practices, cataloging output is optimized for
> interoperability, which means that multiple agencies can trade and
> repurpose records without special editing, re-keying, or other human
> intervention. Indeed, it is precisely through excessive and repetitive
> editing and redundant record creation that the cataloging costs are
> driven upwards, and is precisely by cutting back on standards that we
> undermine data integrity and interoperability for our libraries and

Caroline R. Miller
Head, Monographic Cataloging and
   Authority/Database Maintenance Sections
UCLA Library Cataloging & Metadata Center
Charles E. Young Research Library

[EMAIL PROTECTED]