To: <heb-naco@lists.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 3:49 PM
Subject: Re: help with subject analysis

Hi Heidi,

I'm not familar with the concept, but from the definition you provided, the heading "Vows (Jewish law)" would be appropriate, and could be doubled with "Children (Jewish law)."

You might develop a more specific heading that addresses the issue of minors and the age of legal competence. I would recommend consulting Aaron Kuperman.

I hope this is some help.

Lenore (wearing her new hat!)

Lenore Bell
Section Head, Israel & Judaica Section
Asian and Middle Eastern Division
Library of Congress
(202) 707-7313
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Heidi Lerner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 10/15/2008 2:45 PM >>>
Dear Group,

I am cataloging a book that deals with:

"Din mufla ha-samukh le-ish."

I have found on the web a definition of this prinicple with is in the Talmud:

"dictating that an eleven-year-old girl or twelve-year-old boy can issue a binding vow so long as they have the basic understanding of the concept."

Would I use

Vows--Jewish law

Any help that can be provided will be appreciated.

Thanks, Heidi

Heidi G. Lerner
Hebraica/Judaica Cataloger
Metadata Development Unit