I don't think Aaron's problem (or mine) is with the whole romanization
system, but rather with solutions that are counter-intuitive. We have to
acknowledge that it is unlikely that any non-catalogers will randomly use
that spelling to search the database. Rules can be super-coherent within a
system, but that doesn't mean they are useful to the final user.

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 4:05 PM Joan Biella via Heb-naco <
heb-naco@lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> Seems everyone has his/her own idea of the “problem” with this name (or in
> Aaron’s case, with the whole romanization system).  As you all know, I have
> my own habit of slavishly following the “rules” as far as possible, in the
> hope that if everyone else does the same, we’ll all get the same results.
> My problem with the name “Juliet” is that there are at least two acceptable
> English pronunciations of it, JU-lee-et and JUL-yet.  The second sounds
> “British” to me.  The Hebrew characters can support either. Choose one and
> make a reference with the other.
>
> Joan
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jun 13, 2019, at 5:38 AM, Kuperman, Aaron via Heb-naco <
> heb-naco@lists.osu.edu> wrote:
>
> It is interesting that it appears that Hebrew-speakers with that name tend
> to Romanize it, and apparently pronounce it, as it is pronounced in western
> language, meaning the first letter is a “J”.   We really should be asking
> what value it is to have a rule that requires making a Romanization that is
> unintelligible to (non-cataloger) users of our metadata. Hebrew is a living
> language, and we have rules for dealing with foreign (non-Hebrew)  names
> more appropriate for Latin or Sumerian.
>

> Aaron Kuperman, LC Law Cataloging Section.
>
> This is *not* an official communication from my employer

*Neil M. Frau-Cortes, Ph.D. *(he, him, his)

Judaica, Hebraica and Metadata Cataloger

University of Maryland

4109 McKeldin Library

College Park, MD 20742

Phone (301) 405-9337