Dear all,

Following our conversation at the AJL conference, I wanted to touch base
regarding an initiative.

As you know UMD has just started several projects for Special Collections
that use Wikidata as the authority management platform. In the last few
months we have been training a small group of our catalogers, briefly
reviewed their progress, and involved them in the projects. The projects
are also part of the PCC WIkidata pilot program.

At this point there are a few more UMD people that have manifested interest
in going through the same training, which is essentially a 90 minutes
session taught by Sarah Hovde and myself. We are pondering expanding this
to other institutions. I wanted to check with the Hebraica cataloger
community and see if enough people would be interested either in joining
our small UMD cohort or organizing a separate, Judaica specific group.
Please share your thoughts on this.

A quick additional note regarding the RAS cataloging committee: we are
closing down on membership. At this point we are still missing one member
and we hope to ultimate details in a few weeks. Once everything is settled,
we are considering having a Winter zoom meeting in addition to the annual.
We'll keep you posted.

Looking forward to the New Year, which we hope to be much better!

Kol tuv, Shannah Tovah.

--

*Neil M. Frau-Cortes, Ph.D. *(he, him, his)

*Senior Catalog Librarian*

*Supervisor for Non-Roman and Special Collections Cataloging*

University of Maryland

2200 McKeldin Library

College Park, MD 20742

Phone (301) 405-9337