> On Aug 11, 2016, at 6:37 PM, Jeffrey Altman <jalt...@secure-endpoints.com>
> wrote:
>
> On 8/11/2016 9:21 PM, Henry B (Hank) Hotz, CISSP wrote:
>> I can get Heimdal 1.6 to work with some fiddling.
>>
>> There doesn’t seem to be a 1.7 branch in GIT.
>
> Nor will there be.  The next version will be 7.0 but when using Git
> there is no benefit to branching until there is a separation between
> master and what is going to be tagged.  Since there is no such
> separation, there is no branch.
>
>> The bleeding-edge version doesn’t seem to be usable.
>
> Usable for what?

Well, anything at all . . .

If you want something specific I would say that the autogen.sh script doesn’t
work. As a minimum a few mods to configure.ac to enable some m4
backward-compatibility options are needed. Past that, on NetBSD it dies with
“automate: cannot open automate.cache/requests: Permission denied”. I got past
that on Debian, but I forget how. NetBSD is my actual target.

I assume this is a harbinger of the compile problems I’ll have to deal with.

> The master branch is in production at a number of sites.

I find that difficult to believe, but if there is some specific combination of
things that is known to work out-of-the-box, that’s what I’m asking for.

>> Since I believe there are people on this list actually doing development on
>> Heimdal, where are you doing it?
>
> I assume that depends on the developer.  AuriStor Inc builds master on
> recent 64-bit Linux under Coverity nightly.  I also periodically build
> Windows and periodically on Solaris.
>
>> I’ve tried the latest Debian and NetBSD versions and get fairly similar
>> issues with configure and m4. Both of their package systems seem to install
>> autotools without installing all the dependencies that are actually
>> required. The auto-tool-chain seems to hide error messages that might tell
>> me what’s missing (like gcc!!).
>
> Is that a Heimdal problem?

If it’s actually something missing, you could argue that it’s a (very serious!)
autotools problem. In the real world, if you ever expect anyone to use a GIT
snapshot and try out Heimdal, I think some useful error message is required. I
haven’t decided if I blame the autotools packages for not having sufficient
prerequisites, yet.

<curmudgeon> Autotools have grown to the point where they are a bigger problem
than the one they are supposed to solve. I think my recent experience suggests
they are a significant source of fragility. New projects should think twice
before using them. </curmudgeon>

Excuse my grumpiness.

Personal email.  hbh...@oxy.edu