Greg,
while on a KDC that section does have value for setting things like the DB
path among other things
"
       kdc            = kdc-master-dev.stanford.edu
        master_kdc     = kdc-master-dev.stanford.edu
        admin_server   = kdc-master-dev.stanford.edu
        kpasswd_server = kdc-master-dev.stanford.edu
"
I did glance over at the MIT Kerberos site and its changed a lot since i
last looked at it, I will try to find the exact document where I read that
(I think it might have been in some of the bundled documentation with the
code but its been over a year since i looked for it), if its true than its
inline with what the commercial implementations have all done based on the
more recent RFC's (admittedly most of the RFC's regarding this subject were
written by Microsoft), but if not then the document should be corrected.
that said many implementation of the libraries don't handle coding it there
well or in static configuration files at all particularly when it comes to
fail over even if they are built against the MIT or Heimdal libraries. by
the way this also includes statically coding it in SSSD configuration
files, which have issues with fail overs when its in the config files but
fail over seamlessly when they use the DNS for discovery.