On Jun 2, 2017 1:13 AM, "Jiri Svoboda" <jirik.svob...@seznam.cz> wrote:

J.Z. wrote:

>> Nothing good happens when you ditch and namespace block preexisting
standard APIs.

Umm .. that's pretty much what the wiki article HelenOS and Standards says?

> but I always thought that this
> "doctrine" is incredibly damaging to HelenOS and the primary reason
> for the general lack of contributors.
Since HelenOS and Standards says quite the opposite, I am not sure where
that's coming from? If there is a conflict with the standard, it's a bug.
So not sure, how that could have possibly anything to do with the number of
contributors (or lack thereof).

That's just my terrible memory. I only remembered the more "recent"
intentions when you mentioned it. Consider my post to be a historical
quote, commenting on things that no longer apply.

That said, the place of HelenOS within the larger software ecosystem still
leaves much to be desired. My intention as a co-creator of libposix has
been to make a temporary workaround for those incompatibilities. Just a
crutch to be removed in the future. I never expected for standard and
native APIs to be segregated by design forever.

(sorry if the quote is a bit misformatted, I'm writing this on my phone)