Richard Owlett wrote:
I have a machine set aside for experimenting with OS
installs/configuration.

I'm currently experimenting with Debian Squeeze and Wheezy.
Debian's installer defaults to
   1. making the last install the default when booting - can be
bad idea if
      you mess up the installation. I want the first OS installed
to be loaded
      by default.
   2. creating menu title from id of installed kernel. As
multiple installs may
      use the same kernel, I wish to use meaningful label.

Is there a tool &/or documentation to make life simpler?

TIA

Andrey Borzenkov replied on 3 Oct 2013 but I did not receive it from the list ;(

When using grub-mkconfig menu is built using scripts in /etc/grub.d.
They are run sequentially and their output put into grub.cfg. You can
modify or remove any of them, or do not use grub-mkconfig at all and
maintain grub.cfg manually.

I had understood that much.
In grub.cfg, I'm not comfortable changing more than the text of the displayed menu line.
After all it does say "DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE" ;/

Is there more descriptive information on the files in /etc/grub.d than the included (very brief) comments?

There are several attempts to create different tools to maintain grub.cfg.

Thank you