Not sure whether to post this in this bug-grub list or here, so feel free to
correct me if perhaps this is in the wrong spot. I’m not sure if the issue I’m
having is due to a fault in setup or a bug within GRUB.

I’m the developer of a tool called Mac Linux USB Loader, and some of my users
are reporting errors with my compiled copy of GRUB. Specifically, after loading
the kernel, GRUB spits out the following error message:

alloc magic is broken at 0x81493ca0: 207d007d68746170
Aborted. Press any key to exit.

The hexadecimal values vary slightly, but generally speaking this is what the
error looks like. The kernel loading operation with GRUB’s linux command is
followed by the initrd command to load the RAM disc, and that operation never
occurs, so I know that the operation never completes.

This error never seems to occur with Ubuntu-based distributions. It also seems
to occur if the kernel can’t be found - but in that case, shouldn’t the linux
command fail with an error instead of something like this?

I can’t post my GRUB config at the moment, as I’m not on the machine where it
is stored, but any advice that you can give me without it would be appreciated,
such as under what conditions this error occurs.

Thanks,

— SevenBits