On 12/06/18 15:32, John Lane wrote:
> On 09/06/18 17:15, Xen wrote:
>

>> Grub on this system is Ubuntu default currently, so that means
>>
>> 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu11.3
>>
>> I don't know if there are any Ubuntu specific patches in there, I'd have
>> to check but.....
>
> Thanks for that. It prompted me to spin up a Ubuntu 16.10 VM and, guess
> what? it works!
>
> I used the exact same script to create my zpool and then tested in Grub,
> where the following worked flawlessly:
>
> grub> search --set --label testpool
> grub> ls /ROOT/ubuntu@/boot
>
> The expected files were listed, no errors or warnings. I did, however,
> have to "insmod part_gpt" but I did not need to "insmod zfs".
>
> So it must be some issue with the Grub version on Arch. I would have
> expected that to be closer to vanilla than Ubuntu's but then maybe
> that's the problem. Like you said, I don't know if Ubuntu's grub
> contains any special ubuntu-specific patches.
>
> Perhaps I should ask this over on the Arch ML ?

Further to this, I discover that the UBUNTU GRUB cannot read the zpool
created by Arch Linux but the ARCH GRUB can read the zpool created by
ubuntu.

Arch ZFS version is 0.7.9-1, ZFS pool version 5000, ZFS filesystem version 5
Ubuntu ZFS version is 0.6.5.8-0ubuntu1, ZFS pool version 5000, ZFS
filesystem version 5

Arch zpool features

feature@async_destroy          enabled
feature@empty_bpobj            active
feature@lz4_compress           active
feature@multi_vdev_crash_dump  disabled
feature@spacemap_histogram     active
feature@enabled_txg            active
feature@hole_birth             active
feature@extensible_dataset     enabled
feature@embedded_data          active
feature@bookmarks              enabled
feature@filesystem_limits      disabled
feature@large_blocks           enabled
feature@large_dnode            disabled
feature@sha512                 disabled
feature@skein                  disabled
feature@edonr                  disabled
feature@userobj_accounting     disabled

Ubuntu zpool features

feature@async_destroy       enabled
feature@empty_bpobj         active
feature@lz4_compress        active
feature@spacemap_histogram  active
feature@enabled_txg         active
feature@hole_birth          active
feature@extensible_dataset  enabled
feature@embedded_data       active
feature@bookmarks           enabled
feature@filesystem_limits   disabled
feature@large_blocks        enabled

Diff

feature@multi_vdev_crash_dump  disabled
feature@large_dnode            disabled
feature@sha512                 disabled
feature@skein                  disabled
feature@edonr                  disabled
feature@userobj_accounting     disabled

So the zpools are identical in terms of active/enabled features but a
zpool created by 0.7.9 gets those explicit disabled features whereas a
pool created by 0.6.5.8 does not. I assume it is this difference that is
confusing Grub.

I don't think this is necessarily a Grub or Arch or Ubuntu issue. I
think I ought to ask this to the ZOL people....