> 16.04LTS) and it works fine. Sourcing ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile from
> $HOME/.profile, on the other hand, prevents logins to GNOME or Unity
> sessions.

I don't know if Unity respects ${XDG_DATA_DIRS}, but I hope so. If it does:
then perhaps because you have to treat ${XDG_DATA_DIRS} specially, as I
explained in other posts.

There are various ways to go about this:

a) make foreign distro project change the behavior of Xsession.d scripts
   that set ${XDG_DATA_DIRS}.

b) make (a) but only locally.

c) make ${XDG_DATA_DIRS} be changed specially instead of the usual
   "${VAR:+:}$VAR" recommendation.

   If you want to know more, search in all GNU Guix mailing lists about
   "adfeno XDG_DATA_DIRS".