I've had a problem like this before, when I was trying to build the Shepherd from git.

On Wed, Apr 11 2018, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
        ./configure: line 3350: config.log: Permission denied

I'm pretty sure this is what I had, and it was a problem of trying to build in a directory that was already built. I think the daemon copies the files, but the permissions aren't right, so it can't write over the file that my user had created. From memory I solved it by doing `make distclean` before running the build with Guix.

Carlo