Hello,

Benjamin Slade <beo...@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm having trouble using LuaTeX on Guix.
>
> luaotfload doesn't seem to be able to find any fonts, whether system-wide or
> local (when used with fontspec). I get messages like:
>
>       luaotfload | db : Reload initiated (formats: otf,ttf,ttc); reason: Font
> "Cardo" not found.
>         luaotfload | resolve : sequence of 3 lookups yielded nothing
> appropriate.
>         ! Package fontspec Error: The font "Cardo" cannot be found.
>
> I don't have this issue on other distros, or on Guix when using XeTeX instead
> of LuaTeX.
>
> Is there some additional setup or configuration (or another package ?)
> that I need on Guix to get LuaTeX/luatofload to work properly ?
> (pathing issues of some sort ?)

I compiled successfully the following document (test-font.tex):

\documentclass[11pt,a4paper]{amsart}
\usepackage{unicode-math}
\setmathfont{Asana Math}
\setmainfont{Droid Serif}
\begin{document}
\[(D_e\Phi_{\gamma(s)})^{-1}(\gamma'(s))=\varphi'(s)(D_e\Phi_{\alpha(\varphi(s))})^{-1}(\alpha'(\varphi(s)))\]
\end{document}

using the following command:

  guix shell texlive-scheme-small texlive-collection-luatex texlive-droid
texlive-asana-math texlive-unicode-math -- lualatex test-font.tex

However, I don't think it takes into consideration the specified fonts.
In the same environment, `luaotfload-tool --help' reports

The font database will be saved to

{/gnu/store/f1hdawmb5401cldyl6f27lvc3hvxbw8l-profile/share/texmf-dist/luatex-cache/generic/names/luaotfload-names.lua.gz

{/gnu/store/f1hdawmb5401cldyl6f27lvc3hvxbw8l-profile/share/texmf-dist/luatex-cache/generic/names/luaotfload-names.luc

                                   FONT CACHE

  --cache=<directive>          operate on font cache, where <directive> is
                               "show", "purge", or "erase"

The font cache will be written to

{/gnu/store/f1hdawmb5401cldyl6f27lvc3hvxbw8l-profile/share/texmf-dist/luatex-cache/generic/fonts/

This doesn't seem good as the store is not writable.

I read[¹] that "texmf.cnf" and "texmfcnf.lua" might be misconfigured. In
particular, `kpsewhich -var-value=TEXMFCACHE' reports a store location.
At the very least, I think TEXMFCACHE in "texmf.cnf" should be set to
$TEXMFVAR instead of $TEXMFSYSVAR;$TEXMFVAR as it is the case currently.
I'm not sure it will help, tho.

Regards,

[¹]
<https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/691039/luaotfload-no-writeable-cache-path-error/691047>