On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 03:37:45PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Linux         Hurd            Grub
> /dev/hda1     /dev/hd0s1      hd(0,0)
> /dev/hda2     /dev/hd0s2      hd(0,1)
> /dev/hdb1     /dev/hd1s1      hd(1,0)
> /dev/hdb2     /dev/hd1s2      hd(1,1)

Nice idea, but the Grub stuff is only valid if you have hdb.

Anyway, it is (hd0,0), not hd(0,0). From the manual:
  The device syntax is like this:

     (BIOS-DEVICE[,PART-NUM][,BSD-SUBPART-LETTER])'

For example, if you don't have hdb, but hdc, grubs name are still hd(1,x).
Even "worse", if you have only SCSI, the first SCSI disk detected by the
BIOS is STILL hd(0,x).

In short, what GRUB sees is what the BIOS tells.

>       I'd add /dev/fd0 as well but I don't remember what that looks like
> in Hurd or Grub off the top of my head.

/dev/fd0 /dev/fd0 (fd0)

But only if fd0 is really the first drive the BIOS returns. For example, if
you have two floppies, and swap them in the bios, you have

/dev/fd1 /dev/fd1 (fd0)

(At least I think so, I didn't test it)

The common problem with GRUB names is that people try to find a hard
relation between hurd/linux names and grub names, where there is none.
People should always think of BIOS/GRUB as something independant.

Thanks,
Marcus

[EMAIL PROTECTED],     [EMAIL PROTECTED]    PGP Key ID 36E7CD09
http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Marcus.Brinkmann/       [EMAIL PROTECTED]