Thank you for the reply Gavin.

> On Jan 15, 2020, at 20:20, Gavin Smith <gavinsmith0...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have eventually resumed "work" on this and here is what I got:
>>
>> Original:
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Visiting-Functions.html
>>
>> Sample:
>> https://brandelune.github.io/code/Visiting-Functions.html
>>
>> The css I wrote:
>> https://github.com/brandelune/brandelune.github.io/blob/gh-pages/code/emacs.css
>
> This looks quite good.

If you change the width, or look at the file in a mobile phone or table the
menu should be able to change.

Also, I've put online the emacs manuals for real life testing of that css, if
you want to try other manuals (they all share the same css so it's not very
exciting) you can find the set here:

https://doublet.jp/gnu/

I'll probably remove the set when I am done testing.

>> Also, there are plenty of things that would be nice to have but in a way
>> we're hitting the limits of the texinfo output (and my css skills too, of
>> course).
>>
>> For ex:
>>
>> @deffn Command find-file filename &optional wildcards
>>
>> becomes

>> it would be nice to have the arguments tagged individually and the &optional
>> or &rest keywords tagged in a different way. Also to have the various
>> templates identified for what they are.
>
> Possibly: this should be possible if somebody would implement it in
> texi2any. texinfo.tex already detects the &optional keyword and
> outputs it in boldface.

Thank you for the hints.

>> Also, examples should have similar tagging:
>>
>> @smallexample
>> (switch-to-buffer (find-file-noselect filename nil nil wildcards))
>> @end smallexample
>>
>> could be something like
>>
>> @smallexample
>> (@commandname switch-to-buffer (@commandname find-file-noselect @arguments
>> filename nil nil wildcards))
>> @end smallexample
>>
>> so that we can have ways to target their contents with css.
>
> The Guix developers managed to implement syntax highlighting by
> post-processing the HTML.
> (https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-texinfo/2019-11/msg00004.html)

Wow, I just checked this page:
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Using-the-Configuration-System.html

and the source if full of css "hooks" even for the parens in the code...

What they do is interesting, and I guess some kind of postprocessing would be
possible to achieve what I suggest, but instead of that, I'm guessing that just
having texinfo add the css selectors would be easier.

Your video too is quite exciting, in the end that would be nice to have a
number of css variations if you manage to complete the system.

Also, what's interesting with the current HTML export is that even though it is
quite "old" in terms of standard (supposed to accept HTML 3.2 if I remember
correctly ?) adding appropriate classes and IDs is just enough to access even
bleeding edge CSS. Hence the idea of adding the appropriate "hooks" directly
from texinfo.

Jean-Christophe Helary