Title: CNN: Zoos weather Katrina well/Zoo Relief Fund
AnimalVoicesNews

Source/Letters:  CNN.com <
http://edition.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5.html?12>
Link:  http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/09/05/katrina.zoos/index.html

Zoos weather Katrina well

Monday, September 5, 2005; Posted: 4:46 p.m. EDT (20:46 GMT)

WATCH
<
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/09/05/katrina.zoos/index.html>

Hurricane Katrina database for missing pets
(6:18)

Recovering bodies for ID in New Orleans (2:10)

Americans across the nation send aid (1:37)

RELATED

(CNN) -- While New Orleans officials were saying that Hurricane Katrina's death toll would likely be in the thousands, the city's animal centers fared better, with only a pair of river otters reported dead at the Audubon Zoo and a whooping crane lost at the Audubon Center for Research of Endangered Species.

"From what I understand, we didn't take any water," zoo spokeswoman Sarah Burnette told CNN. Most of the damage to the zoo -- which houses about 1,200 animals in natural habitats -- appeared to be limited to uprooted trees and plants, she said.

A crocodile from the research center was missing, said Rhett A. Butler, a conservationist and founder of the Web site mongabay.com.

The Audubon Center for Research of Endangered Species is several miles from the zoo on New Orleans' West Bank.

Burnette said the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas, at the foot of Canal Street on the Mississippi River, suffered no major structural damage.

However, the aquarium reportedly has lost at least a third of its fish.

The American Association of Zoo Keepers said Sunday that other zoos in the Gulf Coast area fared well too, though the threat was not over.

"We are thankful that most of the reports we have received about the zoos and aquariums in the area are hopeful," the association said on its Web site. "It is still too early to assess the full impact and the danger is not over yet for some areas. Flooding continues to be a problem and is actually increasing in the worst-hit areas."

Burnette said the zoo took pointers from the Miami zoo after deadly Hurricane Andrew struck in 1992, then the costliest natural disaster in U.S. history.

"We have worked closely with Miami MetroZoo ever since Hurricane Andrew, and we totally revised our hurricane plan after talking to them. We have a protocol we go through whenever we know something's brewing," she said.

In anticipation of Hurricane Katrina, the New Orleans zoo stockpiled fuel, food and other supplies, Burnette said. When it hit last Monday, the staff fled to the sturdy reptile building and raided the cafeteria for food. Some staff remained at the zoo, she said.

"We did plan well, but I think we also were really fortunate to be on the natural bank of the Mississippi River," Burnette told CNN. The land is on higher ground than other parts of New Orleans, which is several feet below sea level. In the center of the zoo is a 28-foot, man-made "mountain" that was built decades ago when lagoons were dug, she said.

Meanwhile, the 211-member American Zoo and Aquarium Association began a fund-raising initiative, headed by the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago, to provide relief.

The association posted on its Web site what it knew about the status of zoos in the hurricane's path:

*    New Orleans (Audubon Zoo), Louisiana: Audubon Nature Institute executive staff continue to assess the impact of Hurricane Katrina on all Audubon facilities. Audubon staff are working round the clock on recovery efforts.

*    Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Zoo: The zoo has electricity but there are brownouts. There are lots of trees down, but no animal losses. They already are cleaning up.

*    Alexandria, Louisiana, Zoo: No animal loss.

*    Jackson, Mississippi, Zoo: The zoo suffered slight building damage and has about 35 trees down. No injuries to staff or animals. About half the zoo has power.

*    Birmingham, Alabama, Zoo: The zoo was without power for a day, but power is restored. Trees down, but no animal losses.

*    Montgomery, Alabama, Zoo: The zoo has some electricity, has trees down, but no animal losses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://www.lpzoo.org/hurricane/relief.html

Hurricane Katrina Relief

Monday, September, 5, 2005

As you know, Hurricane Katrina has devastated the city of New Orleans, which is home to the Audubon Zoo and the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas and the Audubon Center for the Research in Endangered Species (ACRES).  Here at Lincoln Park Zoo, we have received calls and e-mails with offers of sympathy and support. The outpouring of concern has been overwhelming, and we are grateful to each of you for your continued care for, and dedication to, wildlife.

Though the situation in New Orleans remains tenuous and communication sketchy, we have been encouraged by reports received over the past couple of days from Audubon staff members. For more information on the status there, visit the AZA Newsroom  <http://www.aza.org/Newsroom/hurricaneupdate/>

To ensure the well-being‹short- and long-term‹of the staff and their families, the animals and the facilities, American Zoo and Aquarium Association (AZA) Board President Dr. William Foster asked Lincoln Park Zoo President and CEO Kevin Bell to spearhead a national fund-raising effort. Lincoln Park Zoo is an accredited member of the AZA, as are the Audubon Zoo and Aquarium of the Americas.

To get the campaign rolling, Bell today announced that the three Chicago-area AZA-accredited institutions‹Shedd Aquarium, Brookfield Zoo and Lincoln Park Zoo‹would each contribute a minimum of $35,000. Bell is grateful to both of these institutions and to the Lincoln Park Zoo Board of Directors for supporting this important effort.

To contribute to the Audubon Relief Effort, either fill out the form on this page, or send a check, payable to The Lincoln Park Zoological Society, to:

Lincoln Park Zoo
P.O. Box 14903
Chicago IL  60614
ATTN: Hurricane Katrina Relief

Funds raised will be distributed by the Executive Committee of the AZA Board of Directors.

While we love to hear from you, we must ask that you refrain from calling or e-mailing us directly on this issue, as we are not equipped for a high volume of communications and will be unable to respond.

We will continue to post information about the situation as we receive it, so keep checking this site or <http://www.aza.org/>

Thank you again for your heartwarming commitment to our zoo and to the world¹s wildlife.
Donation Amount: $

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
AnimalVoices is sending this to you for nonprofit research and
educational purposes only. [Ref.http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html]

Tell elected officials and those running:

Remember the Animals:
They Don't Vote, But People Who Love Them Do

I'm Pro Animal and I VOTE at the polls and with my checkbook!!!!

Read past articles and alerts, subscribe, or unsubscribe:
AnimalVoicesAlerts:  http://groups-beta.google.com/group/AnimalVoicesAlerts
AnimalVoicesNews:   http://groups-beta.google.com/group/AnimalVoicesNews
BushWatchersNews:  http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=bushwatchernews&start=0&scoring=d

"A single voice may not be heard, but the voices of many
cannot be ignored. " ~ Author Unknown

Animal traps Animal control Animal rights
Animal right shirt Animal rights activists

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS