AnimalVoicesNews

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
Source/Letters:  Consumer Affairs <http: //
www.consumeraffairs.com/contact_us.htm> (close spaces)
Link:
<http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/08/pet_food_recalls99.html>

CONSUMER NEWS

Expert Finds Unexplained Pet Deaths 'Not Consistent'
But S.C. police dogs taken off Nutro food; pet owners still suspicious

By Lisa Wade McCormick
ConsumerAffairs.com

August 6, 2008
 € RECALL LIST
www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/03/pet_food_recall_list.html

There's still no definitive explanation for the health problems that scores
of dogs and cats across the country have recently experienced after eating
Nutro pet food. One expert says the illnesses are "not consistent" and not
likely caused by the food. But others are not so sure.

Dr. Steven Hansen, a veterinary toxicologist who manages the Animal Poison
Control Center for the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to
Animals (ASPCA), agreed to review the complaints ConsumerAffairs.com has
received about Nutro pet food.

We gave Dr. Hansen unprecedented access to our complaint files in an effort
to find out why so many pets have become sick ‹ or even died ‹ after eating
Nutro food.

"Unfortunately the cases are not consistent and appear to be anecdotal with
no real definitive diagnostic findings," Dr. Hansen told us. "Without any
consistent trends in findings we can not do anything any further. This does
appear to us to be a situation where bad things happen, but they are not
likely food-related."

But another veterinarian, this one in South Carolina, suspects Nutro's food
may have played a role in the May 22nd death of a dog that was under her
care.

She is trying to find an independent lab to test the food and confirm her
suspicions.

As a precaution, this veterinarian has told her local police chief to stop
feeding Nutro to the dogs on the city's K-9 Unit.

In other developments:
€ ConsumerAffairs.com continues to receive complaints about Nutro food and
its possible connection to the illnesses and death dogs and cats nationwide.
In the past three months, we have received more than 150 complaints from
worried pet owners, many of them longtime Nutro customers;

€ ConsumerAffairs.com has asked the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for
all the complaints the agency has received in recent months about Nutro
food. Despite a Freedom of Information request, the FDA has not yet produced
the complaints, which were gathered by public employees at taxpayers'
expense and are a matter of public record ;

€ Nutro Products Inc. is closing down and laying off a total of 118
employees in City of Industry, California, according to a story posted on
CoStar.com.

€ A pet safety organization recently tested the Nutro food that two puppies
in North Carolina ate before they died in June. The group, Pet Food Products
Safety Alliance,   www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/08/a%20href=   tested
the food for salmonella and e-coli. The samples were negative for those
specific toxins.

Artful spinning

Nutro has posted a statement on its Web site claiming a recent
ConsumerAffairs.com story falsely reported that its food had caused some
pets to become sick. "Every NUTRO product that was analyzed in relation to
the June 23 posting on ConsumerAffairs.com has been shown to be safe," the
company wrote in response to our story.

In fact, the story in question said, "A series of mysterious illness and
death dogs Nutro pet food. Scores of pet owners report their animals became
ill while eating Nutro products, then recovered when they were switched to
another brand." It did not directly attribute the reports to Nutro products.

As we've reported, scores of healthy pets across the country ‹ and even some
in Hawaii and Italy ‹ have recently experienced sudden and recurring bouts
of diarrhea, vomiting, and other digestive problems.

One common link among these dogs and cats is the brand of food they've
eaten: Nutro.

Many pet owners who've written to us report that their pets' conditions
immediately improved once they stopped eating Nutro.

An analysis of our complaints also revealed that at least seven healthy dogs
have died after eating Nutro food. The owners suspect ‹ but cannot prove ‹
that Nutro's food played a role in their pets' deaths.

Employee reports

Former Nutro employees confirm that they have heard similar complaints about
the company's food.

Several pet owners, they said, told them their dogs and cats had experienced
the same types of health problems: diarrhea, vomiting, and lethargy.

The former employees reported their concerns to their supervisors, but said
they were ignored. That's why they resigned.

Nutro, however, has repeatedly defended its food, saying it's "100 percent
safe."

Cause still unknown

But if nothing is wrong with the food, why are so many pets getting sick
after eating Nutro's products?

That's the mystery we hoped Dr. Hansen could help us solve.

He reviewed more than 50 complaints about Nutro, focusing on the cases in
which pet owners had taken their dogs or cats to a vet. But those
complaints, he said, revealed a myriad of illnesses.

"Right now, it looks like a mixture of reported clinical signs that reflect
normal illnesses in the dog population," he said. "They don't speak to
something consistently wrong with the pet food.

"Honestly, it is entirely possible that what we're seeing here (in these
complaints) is a raised awareness of reporting illnesses."

In other words, pet owners are more aware of possible illnesses in their
dogs and cats ‹ probably because of the pet food recall.

What's Dr. Hansen's advice to worried pet owners?

"Speak to Nutro and your vet about your pets' illnesses. But based on what
we see in these complaints, we don't suspect the food is related to these
cases."

He added: "I appreciate you looking into these complaints. If we don't look
at them, then we don't know what's going on. It's a good thing to ask
questions and keep an eye out. And if there is a consistent pattern, then we
need to keep looking. I'd rather have us be a little cautious than miss
something serious."

K-9 alert

Meanwhile, a veterinarian in South Carolina is trying to solve her own
mystery regarding Nutro.

Dr. Calley Hille suspects that food may have played a role in the recent
death of one of her client's dogs ‹ a 13-year-old German Shepherd named
Elvis.

That healthy dog, she said, died one week after his owner switched him to
Nutro's food with glucosamine. And he showed worrisome symptoms immediately
after he ate the food.

"Within 20 minutes after eating the food, he started vomiting," Dr. Hille
said.

A couple hours later, Elvis started having violent seizures.

"The next morning, his owners brought him in and we drew blood," she said.
"The blood work indicated he had some type of food poisoning. He was
vomiting, had diarrhea, and elevated pancreatic enzymes."

Dr. Hille immediately took Elvis off Nutro. A few days later, his owners
found him in a puddle of water. They rushed him to Dr. Hille's office.

"I initiated CPR and also did a cardiac massage. I tried to pump his heart
with my hands."

Despite her efforts, Elvis died.

"He was a healthy older dog," Dr. Hille said. "He was a beautiful
13-year-old German Shepherd. I wanted to know exactly what happened to
Elvis. I wanted to know why he died."

That's why ‹ with the owner's permission ‹ she had the state vet do an
autopsy on Elvis.

"I expected the necropsy to maybe show that he had a brain tumor, but he
didn't have any neurological signs associated with that," Dr. Hille said.

Autopsy raises questions

The autopsy revealed that Elvis died of internal bleeding ‹ apparently from
a hematoma on his spleen. The findings surprised Dr. Hille ‹ and raised more
questions.

"The state vet couldn't give me any reason for Elvis to have a hematoma on
his spleen," she said. "He also said there was no biological reason for
Elvis to have had the seizures."

Dr. Hille, however, has a theory.

"In my opinion, the seizures caused the hematoma. It takes a blunt force for
those to happen and Elvis had violent seizures. At one point, he was
throwing himself against a wall. The seizures are what made the spleen start
to bleed."

But what caused Elvis' sudden seizures? Could his pet food be a factor?

"It's most certainly possible that food poisoning could cause seizures," Dr.
Hille said. "I'm not laying my credentials on the line and saying that Nutro
caused them, but it makes sense."

She added: "Could it be a coincidence that Elvis died a week after he
started eating the food? Yes. But no one can show me what that coincidence
is. I asked the state vet why Elvis had the hematoma. He said he didn't
know. I asked him why he had the seizures. He said he didn't know."

The state vet did not test for any toxins in Elvis' system. "I don't know
why," Dr. Hille said.

But it makes her even more determined to test the food ‹ and hopefully solve
this mystery.

"We highly suspect there's a connection between the Nutro food and Elvis'
seizures, which ultimately caused his death," she said. "His blood work
showed signs of reaction to food. I think we can prove that if we test the
food.

"But the state of South Carolina will not test it. They don't do that
anymore. My problem is I don't know what to test for. I need to look into
what toxins cause seizures."

There may be another culprit involved in this mystery ‹ one that should also
be tested.

"It's certainly possible that there is something in the (pet food) bags,
especially if they're sitting in storage," Dr. Hille said. "If something is
in the bag, the food is going to absorb it."

If those tests come back negative, is it possible that Elvis' age played a
role in his death? That's not likely, Dr. Hille said.

"If it was an age thing, the state vet should have found it. And he didn't."

Baffled by Elvis' death, Dr. Hille has taken precautionary measures with
other dogs she knows are eating Nutro food ‹ specifically, members of K-9
Unit for the city of North Charleston, South Carolina.

Her husband is a handler for the dogs on that unit.

"I ran blood tests on all seven dogs in the K-9 unit," Dr. Hille said.
"Three of the seven showed signs that they needed to get on better food. We
have taken all the dogs off Nutro and put them on another food. "I ran those
tests because of Elvis' case."

Elvis' owner applauds Dr. Hille's efforts to save her family's beloved
German Shepherd. And she's just as committed to finding out what caused his
sudden death.

"I don't want this to happen to someone else again," says Tracy H. of. North
Charleston. "I am so distraught after having to watch my three kids see our
wonderful dog dieŠ my 13-year-old son gave him CPR to try and keep him
aliveŠ"

Tracy has searched for a lab ‹ or state or federal agency ‹ to test Elvis'
food. But she's hit several roadblocks.

"I can't find anyone to test it. The Department of Agriculture (in S.C.) no
longer does testing for toxicology. I called the FDA, but I got a recording.
I did leave a message three times, but I never got a return call."

She's not giving up, though.

"It may cost me a great deal of money to pay for testing, but I will make
sure that no one ever has to go through what my family has gone through. My
sweet, sweet German Shepherd is gone forever and nothing will ever bring him
back. But I will make sure that Nutro never does this to a dog again."

Nutro's response

ConsumerAffairs.com contacted Nutro about these concerns ­ and Dr. Hansen's
findings.

A company spokeswoman said all Nutro products undergo rigorous testing ‹
beginning with the raw ingredients and ending with the finished products.
And she said consumers should not worry about feeding their pets Nutro's
foods.

"Nutro products are safe and conform to the standards set by the U.S. Food
and Drug Administration (FDA), the U.S Department of Agriculture (USDA) and
the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO)," Debra Fair,
public relations manager for Mars Petcare, USA, said in a written statement.
Mars acquired Nutro in May, 2007. "We are committed to working with these
agencies and all stakeholders who share our goal of ensuring the safety of
pet food products."

What about the concerns raised by Dr. Hille regarding Elvis' death?

Fair said it would be "irresponsible for us to speculate about the cause of
the pet's illness" based on the limited information the company received
from ConsumerAffairs.com.

"We encourage the attending veterinarian to contact us so that we can
carefully review the details of the case," she said.

Fair also encouraged all consumers with concerns about Nutro to contact the
company.

"While consumer concerns about Nutro product quality are rare, we take every
complaint seriously. When we learn of an issue, we work with consumers to
obtain information and request that samples of any product in question be
submitted for testing at an independent facility."

She added: "An in-depth review is performed to determine if an issue does
exist. All tested samples of product to date have been shown to be safe and
conform to FDA, USDA and AAFCO standards."

She did not, however, state what toxins the company tested for or provide
copies of any lab results.

Fair said that many consumers who have contacted ConsumerAffairs.com about
Nutro have not shared their concerns with the company.

"A comprehensive review of our call center database shows that the vast
majority of individuals posting on your site have not contacted Nutro or
provided samples for testing."

Fair also said her company has made repeated efforts to contact all the
consumers mentioned in a June 23 ConsumerAffairs.com story about the
mysterious deaths of six dogs that had eaten Nutro. The story also focused
on the sudden illnesses that pets nationwide and in Italy had experienced
after eating the company's food.

"We've either spoken with or left multiple messages for all of the consumers
cited in the June 23 posting," Fair said. "There is nothing that indicates
that these pet health issues were caused by Nutro pet foods."

But pet owner Sharon A. of Cheektowaga, New York ‹ who was included in our
June 23 story ‹ said no one from Nutro has contacted her.

"I've not heard from anyone at Nutro," she told us. Some of the other
consumers in our June 23 story had already contacted Nutro.

But others would be hard for Nutro to find because we only identify
consumers by their first names and last initials when their complaints are
published. Nutro has never contacted ConsumerAffairs.com about those pet
owners or asked how they could reach them, although a company spokesman said
the information would be "immediately" provided.

"Whenever health and safety are involved, we are happy to immediately share
consumer contact information with responsible company researchers, provided
the companies agree that they will not take legal action against consumers
making comments they object to," said ConsumerAffairs.com President James R.
Hood. "No one from Nutro has ever bothered to contact us."

Meanwhile, Fair said her company concurred with Dr. Hansen's findings ‹ and
his suggestions to worried pet owners.

"We agree with his recommendation that it is important that consumers with
concerns contact Nutro and their veterinarian."

Product shortages

Fair also addressed another issue we've raised before ‹ the shortage of some
Nutro products.

"The temporary availability issues that Nutro has experienced with certain
products are operational in nature, not quality-related. Shortages of
Nutro(tm) Natural Choice Lamb Meal and Rice products at some retail
locations are due to the high demand for our products at a time of global
shortages in lamb mealŠ We have already secured additional, high-quality
supply sources of most raw materials, and are currently working with
suppliers in New Zealand and in the U.S. to establish an additional supply
of lamb meal."

Some online bloggers have claimed that Nutro may recall some of its food.
Fair denied that.

"We have no plans to recall Nutro products," she said.

What about the recent story about lay-offs by the company?

Fair declined to elaborate, stating: "As for the news item you shared
regarding our locations in the City of Industry, we have no additional
detail to add."

Fair said consumers or veterinarians with concerns or questions about Nutro
can contact the company's Consumer Services Department at 1-800-833-5330.

Pet owners' experience

But grieving pet owners like Tracy say that doesn't do any good.

"I called Nutro and they said they have not had complaints of this nature
and nor do they have any recalls on the dry food."

Worried pet owners can also contact their local FDA office to report their
concerns about Nutro.

They can also call the ASPCA's Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.

More about pets ...  www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/

Report Your Experience  www.consumeraffairs.com/php/a_report.php
If you've had a bad experience -- or a good one -- with a consumer product
or service, we'd like to hear about it. All complaints are reviewed by class
action attorneys and are considered for publication on our site. Knowledge
is power! Help spread the word. File your consumer report now.

August 7 2008

Terms of Use Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of
Use
Advertisements on this site are placed and controlled by outside advertising
networks. ConsumerAffairs.com does not evaluate or endorse the products and
services advertised. See the FAQ for more information.
Company Response Welcome If complaints about your company appear on our
site, we welcome your response. Please see the Response Form for more
information.
For more information, see the FAQ and privacy policy. The information on
this Web site is general in nature and is not intended as a substitute for
competent legal advice.  ConsumerAffairs.com Inc. makes no representation as
to the accuracy of the information herein provided and assumes no liability
for any damages or loss arising from the use thereof.

Copyright © 2003-2008 ConsumerAffairs.com Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
at:
AnimalVoicesNews:   www.groups-beta.google.com/group/AnimalVoicesNews
AnimalVoicesAlerts:  www.groups-beta.google.com/group/AnimalVoicesAlerts
BushWatchersNews: