That's a question I can't really answer.  I don't know if there's a way to
access your app's Postgres data remotely; I'd guess no, because it seems
like a security issue.  Most people probably don't actually try to use the
same database for development & production, because you're going to be
changing your development database back and forth, and you don't want to put
anything in your production database that your production code isn't ready
to handle yet.  Probably best to just recognize that the databases are
separate, and simply work out a way to import your data from one to the
other -- copying the data, rather than sharing it.  Of course, you'd
probably not want to copy your development database directly to your
production site -- you'd lose whatever data has been generated by your
users.

...Paul