I'm a mere user, but I can share my experience

> 1. I will have a lot of assets (pics and videos) which I will be
> storing in S3. Is there a bandwidth charge from Heroku to upload these
> files to S3?

There appears to be no charge for the bandwidth as such.

However, there is a file size limit: 10MB.

In order to upload bigger files than this, your app on Heroku needs to
arrange for direct upload to
S3.

I ended up using s3_swf_upload_plugin, which I had to hack fairly
heavily to get it doing what I wanted.    The final version of the
plugin I ended up using is here:

http://github.com/GreenAsJade/s3-swf-upload-plugin/tree/master

If you find an easier/better way, I'd love to hear about it.

The other thing to be aware of is the just-recently-discussed "dynos"
or "number of parallel requests that can be serviced".   I'm not 100%
certain, but I have a feeling this will limit your bandwidth as well -
there's only so much you can do if you are only serving one user at
once.

Actually - it's a good question: is the dyno consumed while uploading
is happening?

> 4. My application uses email to send different types of notifications
> to the users. What are the options of setting up mailing in Heroku?

I believe that once your account is verified, you will be able to send
email from the app.  It works for me.

> 5. Security. I understand that Heroku manages everything, including
> security. What is the procedure in case there is need to audit a user
> and check the access log? Would it be possible to describe more the
> security auditing mechanism that you have to offer

I'm not aware of there being anything more than described here:

 http://docs.heroku.com/logs-exceptions

Your app can log access to it's own satisfaction, can't it?

GaJ