Can one exclude certain files (e.g. static assets) from being complied
into a slug without excluding them from the git repository?  I'd like
to maintain version control on these files as part of my rails
project, but host them separately on S3.

My initial thinking was to use a git post-receive hook to copy all of
my static asset files to S3 and then delete the files from Heroku.
Presumably this would occur on Heroku's server before they compile a
slug.  Not sure if this would work given the read-only file system (Is
it read only before a slug is compiled?), but it's the first solution
that came to mind.

Has anyone else done anything like this?  Suggestions/best practices?
Thanks!