On 30 Aug 2010, at 23:54, Terence Lee wrote:

> In the near future we're going to start requiring the Gemfile.lock to be
> checked into your git repository since this is the recommended deploy
> path set by the bundler team.  Please take the time to do so if you
> haven't already.

There's an unfortunate downside to this.  Our Gemfile has gems that can't be
built on Heroku (autotest-fsevent, for example).  We avoided deployment issues
by altering the Gemfile to only bundle these on OS X:

    if RUBY_PLATFORM =~ /darwin/
      gem "autotest-fsevent"
      # ...
    end

Then, we deliberately left the lock file out of Git so that Heroku would bundle
correctly without these gems while compiling the slug.

Today we tried to update our deployment scripts to keep the lockfile in Git.
This now means we have to have a Rake task to set an environment variable
ENV["HEROKU"], re-bundle with a Gemfile that now looks like this...

  unless ENV["HEROKU"]
    gem "autotest-fsevent"
    # ...
  end

...then commit the lockfile to Git, and finally push to Heroku.

We have other issues that I think we can resolve.  But the above feels like a
lot of hoop-jumping to get a lockfile on Heroku.

I'd love to know if anyone has a solution to this problem.  Last time I asked
nobody had a simple workaround.  But that was April, I think, and Bundler and
Heroku have both changes since then.

Or, are we alone in having OSX-specific gems in our Gemfile?

Advice much appreciated

Cheers
Ash

--