I just checked, and the sitemaps are even bigger than I expected.
Every 1,000 entries in the sitemap seems to take about a meg...which
means the total size is in the gigabyte range. Now the sitemap
protocol allows for gz compressed sitemaps, which reduces the size by
more than 90%, which means that every 10,000 entries now takes less
than a meg, but which means the total size will still be in the
hundreds of megs.

I have to admit, I don't know much about MongoDB, is that something
that would be a good fit for this situation?