I'm wondering about Heroku's use of Varnish. Suppose I have a page
that is expensive to produce (lots of database queries) but can be
cached in Varnish. Right after Varnish's copy expires, if it's very
popular, I might have a dozen people accessing it simultaneously
before the newly created version can be stashed in Varnish.

So, based on a thread I found (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/
varnish/misc/14750) it looks like Varnish is smart enough by default
to only send that expensive request to my backend once, and serve up
the response to all the people waiting for it (to prevent a dogpiling
effect). But I know that Heroku has its own configuration for Varnish
(with lots of servers in a hash ring), and I was wondering whether
it's still set up to do this.

Thanks!