They changed the database pricing in January and I thought they
provided more specific details, but I guess they didn't:
http://blog.heroku.com/archives/2010/1/21/pricing_changes_part_i/

All my apps are running on blossom or koi db and I haven't had any
issues with speed unless I'm doing something stupid.

I agree about the inactivity, but think that has more to do with their
easy platform + good docs and support.

Welcome to easy hosting city.