You can use groups with heroku + bundler. For example, I do:

heroku config:add BUNDLE_WITHOUT="development test"

source :rubygems
gem 'rails', '3.0.0'
group :development, :test do
  gem 'rspec-rails', '2.0.0'
  # etc...
end

Then, Heroku doesn't install any of the RSpec gems.

Anyway, it's a bad idea to leave Gemfile.lock out of version control,
because then you can't be sure everyone's using the same version of
every gem, and you could run into troubles.