Huh. I remembered seeing somebody from Heroku say that they had their
Varnish servers set up in a hash ring, which I thought would mean this
kind of effect wouldn't happen, but I guess it does. It looks like
they have 10 Varnish servers going - if I use Apache Benchmark to hit
my server with 1000 simultaneous requests it hits my Rails app 10
times before everything starts being served from Varnish.

Anyway, thanks for looking into it, Craayzie.