Heroku-preboot doesn't achieve the same thing: it changes the order in
which dynos stop/start - instead of first stopping dynos, then queuing,
then starting dynos, it first starts the new dynos, then swaps them after 2
minutes. The 60s timeout still applies to the new dynos the same way as it
did before.

A request routed to the live dyno is queued inside the dyno (inside the
proxy). When all your dynos are queuing, Heroku will queue the request. If
a dyno failed to serve the request in 30s, you get an H20 request timeout.
To mitigate this, the proxy also supports a delay option that will sleep
for 0 < N < 60 seconds waiting for your backend to come up - we run it with
45 seconds - our average server boot time is somewhere around 65s and we
want to get closer to Heroku's 60s limit (in theory we should set our delay
to 59s, but you know, computers aren't that precise :).