Does Route53 support SSL at the root?

You will note that to achieve this, DNSimple reads Heroku's IP addresses in
real time and updates the DNS record in real time with fixed IP addresses.

Yes, if you don't care about SSL at the root (that is, you're ok with people
either using only http://example.com or https://www.example.com), any DNS
provider will in fact work for you.

As others said, I too believe GoDaddy to be an inferior DNS provider. Contrary
to popular opinion, not all DNS is created equally.

-Jason