I've been making hexayurt for about 7 years now, & I do believe they are
suitable for medium-term accommodations with a few additions.

I was inspired to improve the design, so I actually started selling a bunch
of additional items that greatly improve the long term durability of the
structure, the waterproofing, etc.   Check it out.
http://www.burneryurts.com/hexayurt-supplies/

If you choose to go forward with it, let me know, there are a few things
(like using foil tape to cover the seams), that are incredibly helpful for
UV protection.

~  Natalie