Greetings,

While I do think it a good idea, there might be a problem or two with it.
Many of the places that folks are living out of their cars currently are
not places they could put up any structure, especially not one that is as
seldom seen as a hexayurt.  The US has a tendency to actually put
architectural features in place to keep the visibility of homeless folks to
a minimum in the first place, this would have the opposite effect and would
probably end up making the possibility of them even being able to stay in
their cars that much more difficult, unfortunately.  Also, the "storage on
a roof rack" becomes difficult if the car is actually in use, because that
is a large light package, and unless you have a really good way to not only
secure it, but keep it from dropping your miles per gallon even more
significantly, it impedes the use of the car as a vehicle as well.  There
is also the funding for such that becomes a question, while it's not all
that expensive on the scale of, say, buying a house, when one is worried if
one's children are going to be able to get the next meal, or worried about
the gas prices, the cost of a hexayurt might be as far away as the cost of
a house or apartment.  Funding more family-friendly shelters might be a
more short-term and long-term productive solution, unfortunately.

Just some thoughts